Before diving into all the details, let's look at a realistic example of what you might do with gates. This is a
small power plant driving a quarry.
Here are the important pieces of the build:
1. The on/off switch for the entire operation. Flipping the switch creates a redstone signal.
2. A [Basic Gate](/browse/buildcraft/basic_gate/) attached to a
[Structure Pipe](/browse/buildcraft/structure_pipe) reads the redstone signal and generates a red pipe wire
3. [Red Pipe Wire](/browse/buildcraft/red_pipe_wire) follows the
[Cobblestone Kinesis Pipe](/browse/buildcraft/cobblestone_kinesis_pipe), transmitting the signal throughout
the rest of the build.
4. Another Basic Gate receives the red pipe wire signal and converts it back to a redstone signal, thus turning
the [Combustion Engine](/browse/buildcraft/combustion_engine)s on.
5. The red pipe wire signal is also received by Basic Gates next to the [Redstone
Engine](/browse/buildcraft/redstone_engine)s, turning them on as well, and causing both fuel and water to
flow into the engines.
6. Finally, the power generated by the Combusion Engines flows into the [Quarry](/browse/buildcraft/quarry/).